Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
SteveF[_2_] SteveF[_2_] is offline

Default Why use a contactor?

On 1/12/2014 8:38 AM, SteveF wrote:
On 1/12/2014 8:01 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

The problem is that the contactor needs a bulky and expensive sealed
enclosure. I've wired my machinery with waterproof outdoor boxes and
flex conduit from big-box stores, but they don't carry large JIC boxes
with watertight doors.
http://www.austinenclosures.com/prod...s_Hinge_Boxes/

A small IEC motor starter may be used with a cheap plastic enclosure. 4
screw JIC enclosures will suffice. 6x8x4 inch should be adequate. If
the motor has internal overload protection, smaller contactors/
enclosures may be used.

Note: The above is in reference to smaller motors, in general. Not
something requiring a size 4 motor starter or something on that order.