Posted to sci.electronics.repair
SteveF[_2_] SteveF[_2_] is offline

Default Amonits MW9BNK repair question

On 1/12/2014 8:06 AM, Sam wrote:
On 10/01/2014 22:20, SteveF wrote:
First - Does this look like a bad capacitor?

No, see below.

The goo coming out the top and out by the legs makes it seem
suspect.

That isn't goo coming out of the top & legs - it is some type of glue or
other fixative added during manufacturing, to keep the cap and the
ferrite beads on the legs in place.

I agree that the symptoms likely point to a PSU-related fault, but I
don't know that model to be able to offer other detailed suggestions.

Based just on experience with other PSUs, I would look _closely_ at the
electrolytics (top _and_ bottom of each) for _any_ sign of distress /
bulging, and check for any dry solder joints.

Thank you. I already looked for obvious problems with electrolytics.
None of them have any abnormal bulges. A closer inspection of the
solder joints will be performed. I think I need a magnifying glass
with a higher power, or new eyes. :-)