Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default 1/4" phone jack replacement for Behringer 215 speaker.

On 12/01/2014 01:33, David Farber wrote:
This Behringer 215 speaker has two 1/4" phone jacks that are wired in
parallel. It also has two Speakon jacks wired in parallel to facilitate
adding extra speakers to the system. The unit came to me with one broken
1/4" phone jack. The picture of the pc board is here.
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...r/pc-board.jpg
The Speakon jacks were fastened to the back panel of the cabinet with two
screws per jack. On the other end of the screw was a nut. Unfortunately, the
nut wasn't anchored to anything so it was futile to try and remove the
screw. The circuit board prevented me from inserting any tool in there to
hold the nut while I was turning the screw. You can see the results. I
replaced the Speakon jacks, no problem.

With the help of a Mouser telephone tech to match the original part, I
ordered replacement 1/4" phone jacks, manufacturer part number NYS232.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...7cmiFF RuQ%3d
The owner suggested I replaced both of them as long as I had it apart. The
parts arrived and I installed them. I wired everything back in place.
Something told me to check the input impedance of the speaker with a
multimeter just to make sure it was wired probably. It was a good thing I
did. It measured a direct short from the speaker plug input. After searching
up and down for a short, I didn't find any until I inserted the phone plug
into the jack. That's when an internal contact in the jack switched to a
different position and shorted out the plug. Ok, I guess this jack will not
work on this pc board. I called Behringer's parts department and had them
research the original part. After a day or two of researching, I received a
call back from Behringer and ordered the parts. I received the parts today.
Excited to finally get the speaker repaired, I removed the Mouser jacks and
put in the Behringer jacks, same thing. Direct short across the input
terminals. Then I looked inside and noticed there wasn't any difference in
the terminal configuration between the Mouser jack and the replacement
Behringer jack. I will call Behringer back on Monday to discuss this
situation but meanwhile, do any of you know what kind of 1/4" phone jack is
supposed to fit on this pc board?

Thanks for your reply.

Just a thought, are the outputs in antiphase and just one of them is
exhibiting this "fault" if you check to chassis ground?