Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default What to use to drill hole in steel door?

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 15:39:42 -0500, wrote:

And you MUST use a low speed drill. Variable speed half inch as slow
as you can turn it, under high pressure so you cut instead of skate.
Lubricant won't hurt. I like TapMatic cutting fluid. Helps to have the
door laying flat so the lube doesnt run away, and so you can really
lean into it.

When I was in the 7th grade, my uncle came over to install a peephole in
the front door, the kind that needs a 2" hole.

He took the door off and put it on the ground. But it was a wooden
door. Wouldn't it have been a lot easier to stand on a box or chair if
needed and just hold the drill horizontal. My mother or I could have
watched to make sure it stayed horizontal

It seemed to me at the time like a lot of exrra work