Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Farber David Farber is offline

Default 1/4" phone jack replacement for Behringer 215 speaker.

David Farber wrote:
This Behringer 215 speaker has two 1/4" phone jacks that are wired in
parallel. It also has two Speakon jacks wired in parallel to
facilitate adding extra speakers to the system. The unit came to me
with one broken 1/4" phone jack. The picture of the pc board is here.
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...r/pc-board.jpg
The Speakon jacks were fastened to the back panel of the cabinet with
two screws per jack. On the other end of the screw was a nut.
Unfortunately, the nut wasn't anchored to anything so it was futile
to try and remove the screw. The circuit board prevented me from
inserting any tool in there to hold the nut while I was turning the
screw. You can see the results. I replaced the Speakon jacks, no
problem.
With the help of a Mouser telephone tech to match the original part, I
ordered replacement 1/4" phone jacks, manufacturer part number NYS232.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...7cmiFF RuQ%3d
The owner suggested I replaced both of them as long as I had it
apart. The parts arrived and I installed them. I wired everything
back in place. Something told me to check the input impedance of the
speaker with a multimeter just to make sure it was wired probably. It
was a good thing I did. It measured a direct short from the speaker
plug input. After searching up and down for a short, I didn't find
any until I inserted the phone plug into the jack. That's when an
internal contact in the jack switched to a different position and
shorted out the plug. Ok, I guess this jack will not work on this pc
board. I called Behringer's parts department and had them research
the original part. After a day or two of researching, I received a
call back from Behringer and ordered the parts. I received the parts
today. Excited to finally get the speaker repaired, I removed the
Mouser jacks and put in the Behringer jacks, same thing. Direct short
across the input terminals. Then I looked inside and noticed there
wasn't any difference in the terminal configuration between the
Mouser jack and the replacement Behringer jack. I will call Behringer
back on Monday to discuss this situation but meanwhile, do any of you
know what kind of 1/4" phone jack is supposed to fit on this pc
board?
Thanks for your reply.

Another piece of information here. If I plug in a stereo phone plug, then
there is no short circuit. Is there some industry standard to use stereo
phone plugs in this type of application? That seems a bit strange to me.

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA