Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What to use to drill hole in steel door?

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 13:07:11 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Kay wrote:
replying to anoldfart2, Kay wrote:
anoldfart2 wrote:

What do i use to drill a hole in steel door for the knob?
I got a hole saw, but the steel (tin) will destroy the teeth on it.
I know the inside of the door is wood, but the outer covering is
metal. The only way I can see is to drill about 50 small holes around
the needed circle size, but that seems like a pain.
Any suggestions?

I went through my mastercraft bimetal hole saw on my steel door
Then a 15$ one from princess auto then the most expensive one I could find
21$ and still all I get it a but of sparks, some smoke, and my paint
around the hole is
turning brown. I thought I got a good quality hole saw but they aren't
working. The center Drill went through like butter but the hole saw
seems to be just buffing
up the door(lol, jk). I spent
about 15 min trying, any other suggestions?

Hi,
HD or Lowes will have little more expensive better hole saw for like
~30.00 which will do the job. Also use some oil when you drill.

And you MUST use a low speed drill. Variable speed half inch as slow
as you can turn it, under high pressure so you cut instead of skate.
Lubricant won't hurt. I like TapMatic cutting fluid. Helps to have the
door laying flat so the lube doesnt run away, and so you can really
lean into it.