Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Favorite Cutters For Snipping DIP Leads?

tuinkabouter wrote in
:

On 1/11/2014 1:10 PM, tuinkabouter wrote:
On 1/11/2014 3:40 AM, Doug White wrote:
I have occasional need to cut the leads on a standard DIP to remove
it from a PCB. If the chip is dead or not worth saving, and the
circuit board is delicate, I'd rather cut the leads & pull them one
at a time rather than risk damaging the board trying to yank it all
at once.

The catch is that my pointiest cutters are a bit broad, and won't
really fit down between the leads far enough to get a good cut. The
ones I have are Utica 582E angle tip cutters, similar to these:

http://www.stanleysupplyservices.com...-cutters/g/329

Given the cost of a really good pair of cutters, and the generally
poor quality of the pictures/descriptions supplied by most tool
vendors, I'd rather not blow big bucks on them sight unseen.

Does anyone have a particular make & model they can recommend?

Bit expensive:
http://uk.farnell.com/bernstein-werk...15/cutter-top-

obl
ique-conductive/dp/9727086

See partnumber 3-674-15 too:
www.farnell.com/datasheets/1655808.pdf

Thanks! Actually, the 3-672-15's look even better. I don't need the
heavily angled tip, it's just what I currently have. In some
situations, it can cause issues with bumping into obstacles. Something
really skinny with less angle would allow me to cut more from straight
above, which is usually the only direction I'm guaranteed to have
access.

Doug White