Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

Default Favorite Cutters For Snipping DIP Leads?

In article ,
Doug White wrote:

I have occasional need to cut the leads on a standard DIP to remove it
from a PCB. If the chip is dead or not worth saving, and the circuit
board is delicate, I'd rather cut the leads & pull them one at a time
rather than risk damaging the board trying to yank it all at once.

The catch is that my pointiest cutters are a bit broad, and won't really
fit down between the leads far enough to get a good cut. The ones I
have are Utica 582E angle tip cutters, similar to these:

http://www.stanleysupplyservices.com...-cutters/g/329

Given the cost of a really good pair of cutters, and the generally poor
quality of the pictures/descriptions supplied by most tool vendors, I'd
rather not blow big bucks on them sight unseen.

Does anyone have a particular make & model they can recommend?

I use one of those craft knives with the break-off blades.

Isaac