Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flexseal TV scam

On Friday, January 10, 2014 1:59:05 PM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:
wrote in message

If you don't want to actually *fix* it by re-taping,

use acrylic caulk...rub

in with finger, paint when dry.

Retaping it doesn't always work and it's a lot more work.

In a house there is always going to be some amount of

movement, especially over temp and humidity variations.

I'm sure if you kept a house a 70F year round, it would

eliminate a lot of these problems. But if it sees temp

swings from 50F to 85F, I think that can certainly

contribute to cracks.

I suppose t could but IME it doesn't. If it was a major factor, most of the

houses in the US (Canada too) would have lots of cracks.

___________________

Don't they? Every house I've ever lived in had some drywall cracks
somewhere.

Just becaus you have something

taped, doesn't mean that it can't crack again. It depends

on the forces involved. Even taped, it can't withstand

much lateral movement.

True. But the DW itself isn't moving.

Why not? All materials expand/contract with temp, humidity,
etc. There is bound to be some movement. If you measured a piece
of wood, drywall etc, do you think the dimensions are going to
be exactly the same across all temps and humidity? Even a simple
wood door can swell up when it's very humid so that it won't close
properly.

Oh, OK, if a sinkhole opens up under

your house the DW is going to move

_______________________

I was aware of the idea of using caulk and was thinking of

doing that. But a spray on product sounds like an even

better idea. Since making the post, I see Goof makes a

product like that designed for cracks.

I'd still use caulk, easy to put just where you want it; not so with spray.

___________________

I don't have vast experience with drywalled walls. Many of the places I

lived pre-dated drywall. The major ones that had/have it were my offices

and condo. Both used steel studs, neither ever had a DW crack during the 17

years I occupied them.

The last is my current house; I contracted it and have lived in it for 18

years. There has never been a crack in either a long or butt seam save

three on narrow (12" or less) pieces. Those three had been poorly

taped/fastened.

The one place I had a bigger problem was on a couple of corners. The metal

corner beads are nailed/screwed to the face of the studs as opposed to the

edges for long/butt seams; wider surface = more movement. A couple of them

developed hairline cracks where the corner metal laps the DW. Makers of

paper faced metal beads attribute that to the metal bead moving slightly

with the stud. So why didn't long/butt seams crack? Two reasons I can

think of...

1. As stated previously, the corner bead cracks were where the bead was

attached to the FACE of the stud and the face is wider, therefore move more.

2. IMO, the primary reason is that although the long/butt seams are

attached to the edge of the studs the tape is attached ONLY to the DW which

means that any expansion/contraction of the stud would affect only the DW

itself AND that effect would be evidenced by slight enlargement of the

nail/screw holes in the DW and/or the wood.

--

dadiOH