Posted to uk.d-i-y
Uncle Peter[_2_] Uncle Peter[_2_] is offline

Default Win 7 Pro vs XP Pro

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 19:31:35 -0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 10/01/2014 18:39, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 00:46:52 -0000, John Rumm
wrote:

That's mostly true, but there are a few irritating vestiges that I have
yet to find a way to get rid of...

Annoying ones like the slide in panel that now goes with wireless
networking and VPN connection control. It won't stay on screen while you
access other windows - and particularly annoying - will consume a click
anywhere on screen and use it as an indication that it should close. So
if you want to go copy and past a username and password into a VPN
connection for example, you can't in Win 8.

Never used VPN in 8, but I've used wireless in 8 and I have no idea what
panel you're talking about. I use the utility that came with the
wireless adapter.

If you use the windows management interface for wireless connections,
they appear on a slide in panel on the right hand edge of the screen -
roughly under where the network connection icon normally appears on the
tray.

Don't know what you mean by "windows management interface". I've used Windows's own popup (from a tray icon) to select wireless when I had no Realtek software on the machine. I se no need for a slider.

Simply delete all the links to the stupid news and weather
apps and use the metro screen like a huge full screen start menu. And
the start button, contrary to popular belief, is still there,

Most peoples concern with the start button, is the lack of launcher menu
that was associated with it. On a multiscreen desktop the start screen
is a very poor and rather jarring replacement.

Define "launcher menu".

The thing that pops up when you click "start" in Win XP through Win 7,
and that which is missing from Win 8 and 8.1

Oh, I call that a "start menu". And on a multiscreen setup, I find metro easier, as it only fills one of the two or more monitors, so I'm not sure why you think it's worse with more monitors.

(there are fortunately plenty of third party addons like Classic Shell
that restore normal operation as well as making other welcome usability
improvements)

I tried that and as far as I remember it didn't have recent programs or
recent documents. That's all I miss from 7 start menu.

Either your memory is faulty, or they have changed it since, as I have
them both on mine.

See other post, it's got LOADS of options now. Those were not there with the original or I would have played with them immediately.

--
An English woman who has been blind for 26 years got her sight back after suffering a heart attack.
Unfortunately, after she was able to see her doctors bill she had several more heart attacks.