Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flexseal TV scam

On Friday, January 10, 2014 8:36:58 AM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:
wrote in message

On Friday, January 10, 2014 1:56:24 AM UTC-5,

wrote:

You have likely seen the tv commercial for Flexseal.

It sells for

$19.99 per can, but the commercial says you get a FREE

can, (plus

separate shipping and handling). I checked into this

on their website.

The S&H is $9.99 per can. Thus, those two cans cost

you about $40.

Walmart sells it. $12.99 per can. Thus you'll pay

about $26 for two

cans, and save $14 (not to mention the wait time). [Ok,

there will

probably be sales tax, but no where near $14].

So much for their "FREE" can.

You can actually get about 3 cans at Walmart for the

same price as the

"order by mail", and that allows for the sales tax.

*WHAT A SCAM*

Anyone try this stuff for those small cracks in certain

drywall locations that keep reappearing, ie spraying it

with that, then painting over it?

If you don't want to actually *fix* it by re-taping, use acrylic caulk...rub

in with finger, paint when dry.

Retaping it doesn't always work and it's a lot more work.
In a house there is always going to be some amount of movement,
especially over temp and humidity variations. I'm sure if you
kept a house a 70F year round, it would eliminate a lot of these
problems. But if it sees temp swings from 50F to 85F, I think
that can certainly contribute to cracks. Just becaus you have
something taped, doesn't mean that it can't crack again. It
depends on the forces involved. Even taped, it can't withstand
much lateral movement.

I was aware of the idea of using caulk and was thinking of
doing that. But a spray on product sounds like an even better
idea. Since making the post, I see Goof makes a product like
that designed for cracks.