Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave M[_3_] Dave M[_3_] is offline

Default another odd battery problem

William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Dave M" wrote in message

There have been several procedures published on the net as to how to
remove dendrites (search for "nicad dendrites"). One process involves
charging a large electrolytic capacitor (eg, 500uF) to a few hundred
volts, discharging it through the bad cell, then running the cell
through a couple of charge/discharge cycles.

I assume the discharge is + to +.

I built a little box for this process several years ago, and it
seems to work.
It consists of a transformer, a voltage doubler, and a large
capacitor. A push-button switch triggers an SCR that lets the capacitor
discharge into the bad cell (sort of like a one-shot CD ignition).

I'll give this serious thought. The worst that can happen is that the
battery is ruined. (!!!) Thanks.

Yes, + to + on the CD pulse and normal charge/discharge.

Dave M