Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Sketchup

On 1/9/2014 7:41 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 1/9/2014 7:01 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/9/2014 3:25 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
I have progressed to where I can draw out an idea in Sketchup and still
have most of my hair at the end, but there are a few puzzlements that
perhaps someone here can help me with.

1. When I "pull" a surface into a "solid" (yes, I am aware that they
are
"hollow" inside), sometimes I turn it around and find that there is no
"back". In other words, the program has pulled the surface forward and
added sides, but has not left the original shape in place. Other times,
it does what I expect, which is to produce a pseudo-solid.

It will to this if you pull the surface from another surface. For
example you draw a desk top and draw a rectangle on top of the desk top
and pule the rectangle up and away from the desk top. If standing alone
and not attached to another surface it should result in a closed shape.
Be sure to make your separate objects into components so that other
parts/objects will not affect the results.

One more thing on this, sometimes an edge gets deleted or removed or
it was not actually there to begin with.

If you redraw a single edge to the surface that is missing the surface
will reappear. If that does not fix i, chances are that you did not
actually have that surface to begin with.

This can be confusing but once you get the hang of it you will rarely
have any of these issues.

Of course, "rarely" is a bit of an exaggeration... : )
But you will learn to deal with the issues faster.

Not an exaggeration after 6~7 years. LOL