Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Sketchup

On 1/9/2014 3:25 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
I have progressed to where I can draw out an idea in Sketchup and still
have most of my hair at the end, but there are a few puzzlements that
perhaps someone here can help me with.

1. When I "pull" a surface into a "solid" (yes, I am aware that they are
"hollow" inside), sometimes I turn it around and find that there is no
"back". In other words, the program has pulled the surface forward and
added sides, but has not left the original shape in place. Other times,
it does what I expect, which is to produce a pseudo-solid.

It will to this if you pull the surface from another surface. For
example you draw a desk top and draw a rectangle on top of the desk top
and pule the rectangle up and away from the desk top. If standing alone
and not attached to another surface it should result in a closed shape.
Be sure to make your separate objects into components so that other
parts/objects will not affect the results.

2. When I make a component, sometimes the program "decides" to check the
"replace component in drawing" box, sometimes not. I would always prefer
to have it checked. I have not been able to divine what the basis is for
the "choice", but it sure is a pain when I think something is a nice
stable component and it turns out to be Plastic Man instead.

You are not selecting everything that is not a component. Draw a box.
Select only one side of the box, you will get the unchecked box. For
the box to be checked, select the whole object. Use select and drab a
selection box around everything OR "TRIPLE CLICK" the object and it
everything will be selected.

3. Is it not possible to "pull" several surfaces (that are all in the
same plane) at once? For instance, for making many dadoes all at once
without having to enter the depth each time?

NO, not that I know of HOWEVER.

The push pull command will remember the last distance entered. Simply
double click the next item to be push pulled and the result will be the
same.

Be careful however, some times the surface you are pushing or pulling
will react in the opposite direction. This happens if the surfaces are
not the same. One surface might be the top the other might be the bottom.

---
protection is active.