Posted to alt.home.repair
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default Wind chill and water pipes

On Thu, 9 Jan 2014 07:27:26 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Thursday, January 9, 2014 10:05:18 AM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Thu, 9 Jan 2014 05:23:26 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
Snip
Are you that dumb?

Snip
You really are dumber than a brick.

Snip
idiot.

Snip
You have no desire to listen and learn from another point of view. But
you are certainly quick to resort to your strong suit, name calling.
Your parents must be very proud.

It's *not* a point of view issue. Your insistance that windchill only
affects inanimate objects is flat out wrong. You've been given numerous
examples:

A brick that's 75F placed outside cools faster with windchill than
it does without it.

All that proves is moving air will cool everything quicker than air
that is not moving. I have never disputed that. Nor has anyone else.

Your buddy Ed even cited the first origin of the experiments to
determine wind chill and the used a bottle of water hung outside.
A water bottle is an inanimate object. The same bottle that is
outside for a period of time may be frozen solid with a big
windchill, while it's unfrozen with just a little windchill.

Same answer as above.

Pipes in a drafty crawlspace may freeze when the temp drops to 20F
overnight if the windchill is -10F, while they may not freeze if
the windchill is only 20F, ie no windchill.

I'll ignore the improper inclusion of the "chill" on your third
instance of "windchill." Same answer as above.

Pipes in an unheated cabin can be more likely to freeze with a big
windchill than without.

Ditto.

It takes more energy to keep a house at 70F with a big windchill
than with little or no windchill.

Ditto. You are starting to bore me.

Those are all effects on *inanimate* objects. And yeah, after enough
silly denial in the face of overwhelming evidence, you make it to my
list of dummies, incapable of either understanding science or admitting
that you're wrong.

The evidence you speak of doesn't exist but I'm flattered to have made
to one of your lists.

Let me try another approach to explain my point of view.

First scenario:
The outside air temp is above 32 deg. F. The wind chill is any value
you want it to be below 32 deg. F.
Will the water freeze? I say no. What do you say?

Second scenario:
The outside air temp is below 32 deg. F. The wind chill is any value
you want it to be below 32 deg. F.
Will the water freeze? I say yes. What do you say?

Third scenario:
The outside air temp is above 32 deg. F. Take any or all of the wind
chill chart an place it in a glass of water.
Will the water in the glass get colder?