Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wind chill and water pipes

On Thursday, January 9, 2014 5:59:42 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 01:05:42 -0500, wrote:

Windchill and Wind Chill Factor are different things. One is a

specific formula (or table, really). The other is an effect.

No ****. This has been most of the problem here. Terminology must be

properly used.

It's not a problem of terminology. Gordon made the silly claim that
"windchill has no effect on inanimate objects". In a new post he just made
hours ago, he still maintains that is correct, which of course it isn't.
Or do you agree with him?

You are getting closer and at least realized there is wind and the

Wind Chill factor.

Oh please. We know that and have acknowledged it from the start.
Windchill is directly related to wind speed. Give me the windchill
number and the ambient temp and I can tell you the windspeed.

Now, the is a rapper named Windschill, but the dictionary does not

have that as one word like trader is making up.

I made it up as one word?

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/windchill/index.shtml

Title of the chart: NWS Windchill Chart.

Good grief.

BTW, thanks for posting this gem:

"Before World War II, two scientists working in Antarctica first
developed the idea and coined the phrase. Paul Allman Siple and Charles
Passel based it on the cooling rate of a bottle of water that was
suspended above their hut. They developed a formula and made a chart
that was later released and became widely used in the 1970s."

If windchill has no effect on inanimate objects, how exactly did
they first measure it via the cooling rate of a bottle of water?
And as for it having no effect on whether something freezes, leave
a bottle of water that's 70F outside when it's 20F and the windchill
is 20F for two hours and it won't freeze solid. Do it when it's 20F
but the windchill is -10F and it will freeze solid. Capiche?

Now some pedantic loon will probably say, what size bottle, it can't
freeze in that amount of time, what if the temp was 35F, etc, but
clearly the effect is there and could be demonstrated. You just need
the right size bottle and the right amount of time. Ergo, the reported
windchill does have an effect on whether pipes may freeze, depending
on where those pipes are located.