Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default Win 7 Pro vs XP Pro

On 08/01/2014 15:23, soup wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I have never net a machine that didn't have the ability to have RAM in
even Gbyte increments so Id guess 4GB is possible.

Only if his O/S can handle all those memory addresses, 64 bit windows
can but 32 bit windows can't[1]. How many addresses can his O/S handle?

Incidentally isn't the amount of RAM accessible limited to 3.125GB in
the BIOS of the 530

[1] Theoretically it can but there are lots of reports about 32 bit
Windows only "seeing" 3.5 GB. Quite often this 'lost' memory has been
reserved for on-board video but with the Inspiron having a separate
graphic card all bets are off.

On 32-bit W7, look at:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System

It will tell you how much is usable. I see quite a lot of HP boxes at
3.24 GB - but it varies.

--
Rod