Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Win 7 Pro vs XP Pro

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message

On 2014-01-08, Jethro_uk wrote:
[quoted text muted]

W-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-llllll. Kinda. You have to do all kinds of devious
tricks to do a kernel update without rebooting. Or run Ksplice. (Anyone
know how that works?)

I wouldn't know about that ... I just have it set to inform me when
updates are available. I install them, and never get asked to reboot ...
except once. Maybe that was a kernel update ?

My flabber was well and truely ghasted when, following an Ubuntu upgrade
back in 2008 borked my soundcard. After hours of fiddling I finally
called my brother who's a bit of a Linux geek (he was compiling it in the
early 90s). He SSHd into the machine, while I carried on surfing. All of
a sudden, about 10 minutes later, the speakers burst into life.

He'd recompiled the driver, and reinstalled it. Impossible in Windows
without a reboot.

Perfectly possible with some of the drivers with Win.