Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Debouncing Fails on My Remotes periodically!

On 08/01/2014 14:32, wrote:
Jan wrote:
"Start unplugging ALL electric/electronic devices in your home, eventually you should find a solution. This includes all lights, ANYTHING that runs on electyricity. It could be almost anything that plugs into an outlet or runs on batteries. If you know an electromagnetic compatibility engineer (EMC engineer), they might be able to use a spectrum analyzer to find a noise source. But there are only a few thousand of us in the USA so chances are you are on your own to find this problem. The fact that two separate systems fail simultaneously pretty much says it is not the remotes themselves, but something getting into the receivers."

Thanks for this draconian suggestion! Lol.

See, this problem happens at random, and might recur two weeks apart, or, two months apart. Relatively infrequently.

The remotes involved are for my 32" Sanyo flat tube TV, and my JVC VHS/DVD combo deck. Both are ten years old but are in fine shape and work flawlessly(aside from this weird remote problem).

The JVC combo remote can also be programmed for basic on/off, channel, and volume of a television. It is thusly programmed to control those functions of the Sanyo.

The typical scenario: I pick up the Sanyo TV remote to adjust the volume, press volume up or down, and nothing happens. I press harder, and the volume just races away - up or or down. I then must run over to the TV and press the volume buttons to stop it.

Ditto the volume buttons on the JVC remote. And they both behave this way at the SAME time. The episode typically lasts minutes, and in a half-hour both remotes' volumes operate normally. And it may not happen again for another week or even months.

Assuming its a neighbour with remote controlled house lighting or
something like that , coding on the mains getting to the room lights.
Try temporary spots sloppy-gluing a tube shroud over the sensor of the
units and direct the axis(by cutting an angle to the glue face) of the
shroud to where you usually use the remote (assuming not in line with a
room light of course)