Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT- Another computer question

On Wednesday, January 8, 2014 12:05:12 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 23:28:04 -0500, wrote:

Yes, unless, like some, the switch can convert VGA to DVI or vise

versa.

DVI to VGA is trivial, the converter is a couple bucks. Going the

other way is hundreds.

Digitizing an analog signal costs you.

I'd also wonder about "switching" an advanced digital interface, eg HDMI.
I'm sure it works fine if by switching you mean selecting one
monitor or the other at boot-up time. But I have to wonder what
happens if you try to switch say one monitor, TV, whatever, between
two computers that are running.... There is some protocol involved,
where the monitor and computer figure out what they are connected to.
If you disconnect one and connect another different one, will it
figure it out or does it need to re-boot, etc? IDK, but potentially
I would think there could be problems.