Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT- Another computer question

On Wed, 8 Jan 2014 07:52:17 +0100, nestork
wrote:

Thanks for all of the responses.

Upon further reading, I'm hearing that another format called "Display
Port" is expected to replace HDMI. I'm noting that many of the
companies that make KVM switches are now also making them with Display
Port audiovideo output ports.

'DisplayPort KVM Switch - 2 Port, USB 2.0 High Resolution KVM Switch |
Mac | PC | StarTech.com Canada' (http://tinyurl.com/nvxozmu)

'ADDERView 4 PRO DisplayPort | Adder Technology'
(http://www.adder.com/products/adderv...ro-displayport)

'ServSwitch DT KVM Switch DisplayPort with USB and Audio, 4-Port -
KV9704A - Shop now - Black Box' (http://tinyurl.com/pok5r5a)

The problem is that neither of my computers have Display Port ports on
their video cards, and I've still got a VGA monitor. Basically, all of
my computer equipment is circa 1995, so upgrading the KVM switch that
connects everything to everything else means upgrading everything.

I don't want to buy a DVI or HDMI KVM switch if those formats are going
to be obsolete in a few years, but I also don't want to buy two new
computers and a monitor because my existing equipment won't plug into
the new KVM switch because my existing computers do everything I need
them to do very well. The bottom line is that I've always found it
easiest and least expensive to be on the trailing edge of the technology
wave. A refurbished Pentium IV is all I need because I'm not a
power-gamer and I don't watch movies on my computer. My computer is
basically a typewriter / calculator / rolodex and the slowest thing in
the whole system is me. I just don't need the speed. PS/2 ports are
all I need, but they're going the way of the dinosaur.
I don't know what to do.

I can buy a two port USB KVM switch with VGA output for $25. Can I buy
a flat panel monitor that has a VGA port on it? That way, I can buy new
computers with USB ports, and any small flat panel monitor is all I
need.

Display Port caters to converter cables - you can run virtually ANY
format off of a display port output with the right cable.