Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Please recamend a spray finish system

On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 3:37:52 PM UTC-6, Edward A. Falk wrote:

I'd be just using straight water-based spar urethane.

Orrrrr, maybe I'll just stick to the brush and not die.

Ed, no need to be afraid. That being said, safety with any airborne finishing product is a number one concern.

Do not be fooled by thinking "water based" or "water borne" infer any level of safety. THEY DO NOT. They simply indicate a different thinner, solvent, or carrier used in its manufacture, or any combination of the three. Water based/borne products still have large amounts of ammonia, formaldehyde, and all kinds of other nasties in solution that you launch into the air when you spray.

I wear long sleeved shirts buttoned all the way up, gloves, a large hat (or make a turbine like Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia for a big spray) and always have a high quality filter mask. The mask must filter particulates as well as fumes, and I replace the filters nearly every job. I don't care about the life expectancy or the due date on the cartridges. They are cheap, lungs are not.

With proper protection you can spray away all day with no worries. I have been doing it for years, safely. I had the great fortune of running into old painters about thirty years ago that were trembling wrecks because they didn't follow any safety protocols and I was able to see the price they paid.

Cover up everything you can (if I am spraying something really nasty, I even put vaseline on my eyebrows, eyelids and lashes) and filter out the rest. Spray in an area with good ventilation and don't take off your protection until you are clear of your spray area.

The work you turn out will definitely be worth the trouble if you take the time to get good at it.

Robert