View Single Post
  #7   Report Post  

Thanks for all of the responses.

Upon further reading, I'm hearing that another format called "Display Port" is expected to replace HDMI. I'm noting that many of the companies that make KVM switches are now also making them with Display Port audiovideo output ports.

DisplayPort KVM Switch - 2 Port, USB 2.0 High Resolution KVM Switch | Mac | PC | StarTech.com Canada

ADDERView 4 PRO DisplayPort | Adder Technology

ServSwitch DT KVM Switch DisplayPort with USB and Audio, 4-Port - KV9704A - Shop now - Black Box

The problem is that neither of my computers have Display Port ports on their video cards, and I've still got a VGA monitor. Basically, all of my computer equipment is circa 1995, so upgrading the KVM switch that connects everything to everything else means upgrading both computers and the monitor as well.

Right now is a very uncertain time to upgrade because there are multiple audiovideo formats that are all competing to become the dominant audiovideo format over the next several years.

I also looked at LCD monitors on Best Buy's web site and found that most of them supported VGA and either DVI or HDMI with one supporting all three. Several supported only DVI or HDMI. So, I can get a VGA LCD monitor in future if my old CRT craps out.

I'm thinking my safest course of action is the spend the least. I can buy a two port USB KVM switch with VGA output for $70. And if my CRT monitor craps out, I can buy a flat panel LCD monitor that supports VGA input for $100. That should be enough to carry me over for at least the next 5 years during which time one of the high definition digital resolution formats should become dominant and refurbished computers with that dominant high definition digital resolution output available for $189 or thereabouts. THEN, I'll know what KVM switch to buy.

Does this sound like a good game plan under the circumstances?

Last edited by nestork : January 8th 14 at 07:36 AM