Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default OT- Another computer question

philo wrote:
On 01/07/2014 08:17 PM, nestork wrote:
So, further to my previous post about extending the life of a PS/2 KVM
switch, I have spent the day trying to learn about 4 port USB KVM
switches.

One question I have is that some switches have VGA ports. Other
switches advertise themselves as "DVI" switches and still others as HDMI
switches.

I understand that VGA is an analog signal, but in order to enjoy High
Definition videos on my monitor, I have to go with a digital signal
which is either DVI or HDMI.

You may want to have a look at your monitor's input, many monitors give
you several possibilities.

I have used both vga and dvi and honestly could not tell the difference.

I am sure there is one though.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/DVI_vs_VGA

Hi,
DVI is only HD digital video signal connector. HDMI can carry HD digital
video and audio, Ethernet signal like CAT5 cable and USB signal.
If you use DVI, then you have to arrange to have digital audio cable by
either optical or digital coax to go with DVI. DVI is going away since
Sony invented HDMI.(now going towards version 1.5 specs.) Some monitors
or video/audio card has DVI and or HDMI connectors and even VGA one.
There is analog HD video cables called component video with 3 cable set.
There iss aalos DVIHDMI, DVIVGA converter plug. As much as posible
you should
gear for HDMI. HDMI cable has 19 wires. Buy a good high speed cables.
No question digital format provides superior quality video/audio.