Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Kaz Kylheku Kaz Kylheku is offline

Default Debouncing Fails on My Remotes periodically!

On 2013-12-14, wrote:
Really annoying!

30" Sanyo pureflat CRT TV and JVC DVD/VHS combo remotes. Both have volume on
their remotes and can be universally programmed.

Happens for a few minutes at random times - might happen twice per month,
once per week, or twice per year.

I go to adjust the TV vol with either its native remote or the JVC's, and I
press up or down, nothing happens. I press them harder, and the volume will
keep going all the way up or all the way down.

Adjusting the volume via the buttons on the TV itself no problem.

What is causing the behavior of the two remotes??

Since the behavior is reproducible with two completely different remote control
units from different manufacturers, the problem is probably not with the
remotes.

Perhaps there is some source of infra-red pulses in your environment. Is there
another IR system in use in the room, like an IR based wireless mouse?

Failing an environmental cause, the next thing to suspect would be the TV
itself getting into some faulty state state in which it briefly fails to
respond.

Specifically, suppose that the embedded system goes briefly unresponsive, but
continues to handle interrupts from its IR stack and queue up the commands
in its buffers.

When you're holding down your remote's keys, you're sending multiple volume-up
commands. These look like they are being ignored but they are actually
buffered. When the TV's embedded system comes out of its "guru meditation", it
processes all of those commands, resulting in the volume going all the way up.

The solution for you is to relax. When the TV does not respond, back off. Do
not press the keys harder, and do not hold them down; trust me, these
controllers are not pressure or velocity sensitive. Just let go of the volume
key, wait a second or two, and give it just a single tap. If that doesn't work,
wait a little longer and try again.