Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default English Wheel Reality

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 05:21:05 -0800 (PST), stryped
wrote:

I am familiar with autopmotive and tractor bearings, however can not think of a bearing the size of the top of an English wheel.

I said a SMALL english wheel. I have used an "english wheel" with
rollers 1.25" in diameter. And 10 inches in diameter. ANd I have a
bearing in the garage over 6" in diameter

It would seem if there were one that sized it would be as much or more than the cost of an English wheel considering how much bearings were when I purchased them for my trailer!On Monday, January 6, 2014 6:33:45 PM UTC-6, Clare wrote:
On Mon, 6 Jan 2014 04:45:07 -0800 (PST), stryped

wrote:

On Sunday, January 5, 2014 3:03:27 PM UTC-6, Clare wrote:

On Sun, 5 Jan 2014 06:03:54 -0800 (PST), stryped

wrote:

Interesting. just wish i had a lathe to macine the wheels

Then you end up with soft wheels - OK for aluminum, but problematic

for steel. The rollers need to be HARD. Which makes machining them on

the lathe a bit of fun.

For a SMALL english wheel, a self aligning ball bearing working

against a straight ball bearing works pretty well.

Where could I get such a ball bearing?

From any industrial bearing supplier, or possibly from your local

farm supply.