Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wind chill and water pipes

On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 11:38:04 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/7/2014 8:30 AM, wrote:

Yes, but they won't freeze if the air temperature is 33 degrees and the

wind chill is 20. See the difference?

Yes I do. But continuing to use cases where the temp is above

freezing doesn't show that the lower the reported windchill, the

more likely pipes in a drafty crawlspace or an unheated cabin

are to freeze when the temps are well below freezing. Again the

qustion posed wasn't about 35F. It was about a day with 0F actual,

-10F windchill.

My point is, wind chill does not cause the pipes to freeze.

BS. NOAA, Weather Channel, and Univ or Illinois, among others,
say you're wrong. How hard is it to understand that if it's
20F outside and the reported windchill is 0F, that it's more
likely that pipes in a drafty crawlspace, an unheated cabin,
will freeze? Apparently it's not that hard to understand, but
you refuse to answer the simple questions posed that show you're
wrong:

A - Pipes are in a cabin with no heat. Do you think the cabin

inside temp will be the same overnight as the temp drops without

regard to what the windchill is? If the reported windchill was

large, would you not agree that the pipes are going to be

more likely to freeze?

B - Pipes in a drafty crawlspace. "

Wind may

make them freeze sooner but the overall affect is the same.

Gee and when do you have wind? With a windchill that is the same
as the outside temp or with a windchill that is 20F BELOW the
outside temp? Again, as I've said many times now, suppose it's
35F outside. You have an unheated cabin or a drafy crawlspace.
Overnight, it forecasted to go down to 20F. Two cases:

A - windchill is 20F

B - windchill is -10F

Are you going to tell us that the liklihood of the pipes
freezing overnight are the same in both cases?

Good grief.

If your

example was correct, a 35 degree temperature with a 20 degree wind chill

factor would freeze the pipes. PIPES HAVE NO FEELING

My example above is correct. And again, from the OP, the conditions
of the question were a temp of 0F and a winchill of -10F. So stop
with the 35F, idiot.