Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wind chill and water pipes (stormy's froze)

On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 10:03:26 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/7/2014 9:35 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

8:25 AM, about an hour and a half later.

Hot works in the kitchen,and a little bit

in the bathroom sink. Lost the cold in the

bathroom sink. Shower and tub diverter seems

frozen. The WH cabinet has vent which is wide

open, about 12 x 18 inches, and the wind is

blowing from that direction. I'm rigging a

patch for that vent grille, cover that.

My fingers are serious cold, and I'm not enjoying

being out in the cold. Wishing I had a caged 100

watt light bulb I could put out there. And wait

for it to thaw.

9:34 AM. Took a ceramic space heater, and put in

the WH cabinet. Now the bath tub faucets work,

kitchen sink works, but bathroom sink barely dribbles,

either hot or cold, barely dribbles.

Find some old slip joint pliers from HF. Remove

aerator, and bang it on the counter to remove the

particles of crud. Faucet works better, now.

I guess I found out that when it's -2F and blowing

in from the direction of the WH cabinet, that I need

to leave a pipe dribble. I have also blocked the

vent opening, and will some day maybe wrap the

pipes back there, which are not wrapped. And it's

only 10 AM.

for my next trick, I'll try to start the car.

Persuant to your original question, do you think those pipes that froze were more likely to freeze with a lower reported windchill or not?