Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wind chill and water pipes (stormy's froze)

On 1/7/2014 9:35 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
8:25 AM, about an hour and a half later.
Hot works in the kitchen,and a little bit
in the bathroom sink. Lost the cold in the
bathroom sink. Shower and tub diverter seems
frozen. The WH cabinet has vent which is wide
open, about 12 x 18 inches, and the wind is
blowing from that direction. I'm rigging a
patch for that vent grille, cover that.

My fingers are serious cold, and I'm not enjoying
being out in the cold. Wishing I had a caged 100
watt light bulb I could put out there. And wait
for it to thaw.

9:34 AM. Took a ceramic space heater, and put in
the WH cabinet. Now the bath tub faucets work,
kitchen sink works, but bathroom sink barely dribbles,
either hot or cold, barely dribbles.

Find some old slip joint pliers from HF. Remove
aerator, and bang it on the counter to remove the
particles of crud. Faucet works better, now.

I guess I found out that when it's -2F and blowing
in from the direction of the WH cabinet, that I need
to leave a pipe dribble. I have also blocked the
vent opening, and will some day maybe wrap the
pipes back there, which are not wrapped. And it's
only 10 AM.

for my next trick, I'll try to start the car.

--
..
Christopher A. Young