Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveF[_2_] SteveF[_2_] is offline

Default Solder of Braze "copper" convector? -- it's fixed

On 1/6/2014 10:00 AM, TomR wrote:

If I can, I will do that. But, the newsreader that I use doesn't save
threads and posts for that long (I am using Outlook Express). So, I doubt
that I will be able to do a follow-up 6 months or a year from now.

P.S. If anyone has any suggestions for a newsreader that saves all the old
posts, let me know.

Your current newsreader will display any downloaded message. Given:

You do not unsubscribe to the newsgroup and/or catch it up.
Even then it still could.

You do not have any settings set to delete downloaded content. I
don't recall exactly how OE does things. So, this might not be an
option for the program, anyway.

Just to check, click on this newsgroup (already here if you are reading
this), then go up to the menu bar at the top of the window. There
should be a "View" option. Click on this and a "Current view" option
should be at the top of the next menu. You will want to select
the "Show all messages" after you are done with the following.

If you are reading this message, make sure that it is opened in its
own window. If you do not know how to do this, double click on the
message. Minimize the new window. This message should still be
highlighted in the main window. To make things simple, just "right
click" on this message and select the "Mark as unread" option.

Okay, the steps above are a bit redundant, but I have you do this to
keep you from losing your place.

If you still have this message open in its own window, continue to
ignore it.

In the main window a whole bunch of messages should be visible. If not,
the "View" option and "Current view", then selecting "Show only unread"
or something to that effect, most of the messages should go away.
Assuming, of course, that you have read a majority of this group before
starting this.

Regardless, this message should still be unread. It is possible to
mark this message unread in that window I told you to ignore.

I only state this so that you may have a chance to change a setting
in the Tools -- Options --- (select the read tab)Read menu. Uncheck
the "Mark all messages as read when leaving" or something box.

There is another setting just for newsgroups that I forget where it is
at, but it is an option to mark messages read after a specified amount
of time. Uncheck that as well, or up the quantity a bit.

There are other ways to modify how OE works, along with other programs,
but stick with OE until you learn how to move around and set things up.

It is always possible to hunt this thread down using (barf) google
groups, but I that is its own bunch of crap to deal with. Google
ruined Usenet.

On that note, good luck!