Posted to rec.woodworking
CW[_8_] CW[_8_] is offline

Default Using milescraft router pattern maker

"Len" wrote in message

I want for make a lot of 4 inch square blocks for the corners of door and
window trim. I don't care for the typical rosettes you can buy in the big
box stores. I want something a bit more unique for my house. I have a
Milescraft router pattern maker and have chosen a daisy flower design that
is about 3 1/2 inches in diameter. The blocks will be painted so I chose
poplar for the wood. However, the cuts are not smooth and require a lot of
work after the routing phase. I have tried going around the pattern twice in
both the forward and reverse directions. All it seems to do is make the
grooves a bit wider. The problem is that the rotary pattern requires some
cuts with the grain and some across the grain. The latter are rough!

My last thought beside junking the idea is to go to a harder wood. Has
anybody used this beast (Milescraft ..) with good success? Is there a hidden
secret to it that I should know?

Len
Try a new router bit. Sounds like a dull bit.