Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Blade guard

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Just go slow and easy and don't try to get it all in one smooth pass
- that just won't happen.

I understand better now what you were saying. In your experience, do you
get better results edge-trimming 1/16" or 1/8" off of plastic? I think
the answer might be 1/8", and the appropriate speed for the router may
be close to 30,000 RPM (rather than much, much, slower), and the work
piece needs to be pushed through much faster than for wood. I need to
build an ad-hoc router table to find out for sure. I take back some of
my earlier sentiments that working plastic and wood were probably very
similar.

How about routing around a steep bend on a router table, against a
template? This seems to be similar for wood or plastic. I suppose one
needs to be careful about the the way the material is held, and a blade
cover around the bit would surely not be bad idea either.

At least I've learned enough that when I read that the base of router is
made out of polycarbonate, it doesn't go completely over my head (i.e.
I've seen the "bullet test" applied to polycarbonate and acrylic,
side-by-side)! I'll check and see it Bill Hylton has anything to say
about some of my questions in his book (WATR).

Bill