Doug Miller

Default OT us soldiers re-enlisting at a high rate?

In article , "xrongor" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
om...
In article , "xrongor"

wrote:
im trying to get this really clear. you are saying my comparison of the

two
years is meaningless?

Yes. I think I said that before.

the article gives you the percent of their goal for two different years.

we
agree on this? lets not get into what it means yet, just that we can

agree
that the article provides those numbers. can we do that?

Yes.

lets replace the sentence % of their goal with the word apple since

you've
accused me of comparing apples to oranges. you got it? the phrase "% of
their goal" shall be replaced by the word 'apple'. so to rephrase, the
article gives you the apple for one year, and gives you the apple for the
next year, and you cant say that the apple has gone down or is falling?

Your paraphrase conceals the problem, because it obscures the fact that

the
goals themselves, and any change in them from one year to the next, are

not
known. Let's stick with the original phrasing, please.

i knew i would lose you on this one.

No, Randy, you're the one that got lost. If you truly don't see that your
paraphrase omitted a significant aspect of the situation, then there is no
point in discussing this any further, because you simply don't grasp
principles of logic well enough to debate the point.

The incomplete numbers equally well support _both_ of these statements:

a) the percentage of goal achievement is falling
b) the goal itself is rising

and hence it is not possible to derive _any_ meaningful conclusion, in the
absence of further data.

because that is the only claim i made. the PERCENT is falling, not

actual
numbers.

SO WHAT?? That doesn't mean a damn thing, unless you know what it's a
percentage OF. And you don't.

the term 'so what' implies that you agree. the only claim i made was that
the percent is falling.

*Here* is where you lose me: I must confess I don't see the purpose in your
continuing to cite a figure that you now appear to agree is meaningless.

here is where your logic breaks down.

Huh?

what did i ever claim it meant? please quote me and tell me where i ever
drew a conclusion that said something like 'because the % is falling this
must be true...."

Silly me, I guess I just assumed that because you keep repeating it, you must
think it means _something_. Now I'm wondering why you keep repeating
something that you know doesn't mean anything.

--
Regards,