Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson[_2_] Andrew Mawson[_2_] is offline

Default linear power supplies "outlawed"?

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message ...

In article ,
writes:
Hello,

I was looking for a PSU to power a child's toy but found that the CPC
web site says "not for domestic use" against all their linear power
supplies because they do not comply with energy saving regulations.
What's this about and when did that start? Are we supposed to use SMPS
for everything now? If so, why are they still selling linear power
supplies; there must be an advantage?

I haven't bought a linear PSU for years. I always buy Switched-mode ones.
(and I do buy quite a few for the projects I build, although often
second-hand).

Wait until the green lobby find out about rf interference and mains bourn
interference from switchers and they'll be insisting we use linear psu's !

Andrew