Posted to alt.electronics,aus.cars,aus.cars.offroad,aus.computers,aus.electronics
Damian[_2_] Damian[_2_] is offline

Default How to smart charge with a regulated power supply

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Damian wrote

Hi Guys,

Wot abart us animals, boyo ?

Yeah, I was trying to address you monkey as well.
Thought you might be holidaying the Turks. :-)

I have a regulated power supply that I've built from scratch back when I
was in 'school'.
It's a 0-24V regulated power supply with upto 5 amp.
There are two settings, 1A and 5A. Also the amps can be controlled via a
turn knob(potentiometer).

Presumably you mean the current limit.

Yes.

Also a separate potentiometer for voltage control.

My aim is to use this unit for 'smart charging' a 12V, 6V lead acid, agm,
etc batteries.

You'd be a lot better off with a decent modern
lead acid battery charger for peanuts from china.

Hey Rod, It's hard to get a good quality AGM smart charger for peanuts.
By peanuts I meant, under $50. The ones under that price aren't usually that
good.
But, if you know a link to a good one, do let me know.

How do I do that with this unit?

You can't with the smart bit. All it can do is the stupid charging.

Yeah, I know. But, I was stupid enough to cook the good quality expensive
smart charger I had,
now I can't spend again on a good unit.

It's ok for me, to having to walk to the unit every half hour or so, to
adjust the settings to replicate the multi-stage battery charging.

That’s nothing like real smart charging.

I know, but I would have to do the best I can for a while, until I get
another unit.

Got ****ed on new years eve with more rum than I could handle and managed to
stuff up
the charger with unnecessary fiddling under the influence of intoxication.

I'm after some good information on how to do it.

Get a decent modern lead acid battery
charger for peanuts from china.

They have ones for $20 as well, but I'm not too sure about the claimed amp
range and the reliability.
Many 4WD gurus say that you get what you pay for in that area, and a cheaper
one can do more harm
than good to a quality AGM battery( Eg: microprocessor going nuts and
overcharging the battery, etc)

Your help is very much appreciated.

We'll see...

I'm still waiting.