Posted to alt.electronics,aus.cars,aus.cars.offroad,aus.computers,aus.electronics

Default How to smart charge with a regulated power supply

"Damian"

I have a regulated power supply that I've built from scratch back when I
was in 'school'.
It's a 0-24V regulated power supply with upto 5 amp.
There are two settings, 1A and 5A. Also the amps can be controlled via a
turn knob(potentiometer). Also a separate potentiometer for voltage
control.

My aim is to use this unit for 'smart charging' a 12V, 6V lead acid, agm,
etc batteries.

How do I do that with this unit?
It's ok for me, to having to walk to the unit every half hour or so, to
adjust the settings to replicate the multi-stage battery charging.

I'm after some good information on how to do it.

Your help is very much appreciated.

** For once there is a very simple answer to you question - cos SLA etc
batteries are happy with "constant voltage" charging.

All you need do is set the voltage on you PSU to exactly 6.9V or 13.8V ( use
a digital meter ) for use with 6V and 12V SLA/gell cells respectively. You
MUST do this setting with NO battery attached !!

The amp setting depends on the amp hour (AH) capacity of the battery - use
the 1A setting for those rated at say 3 to 8AH and the 5A setting for larger
examples.

The battery will decide if takes all the pre-set current or progressively
less as it approaches full charge - then drop to a trickle at full voltage.
The voltmeter will monitor what is going on.

FYI:

To protect your PSU from accidental reverse connection of the leads - wire
a hefty ( ie 3amp or more) diode across the output in reverse and add a
fast acting fuse in series with the leads.

FYI 2:

I hope your regulated PSU has a big heatsink cos it is gonna get plenty
hot, a fan may well be needed for 5A charging.

..... Phil