Posted to rec.puzzles,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default What is it? Set 526 - Answers

On 1/3/14, 4:44 PM, Rob H. wrote:
I haven't seen any game boards with such big holes, with metal inserts,
or with laminated wood.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I did a search on bit holders and
didn't see any like the board in question. This page has some game boards with
metal inserts:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html/?_nkw...ibbage%20board

As for the larger holes, maybe whoever made the board had some extra quarter
inch metal inserts and wanted to use them. For now I'm sticking with the Euchre
board theory until some evidence comes along that points in a different
direction.

I've googled for game boards and haven't found any with two rows and an
array at each end.

If it was made from a discarded cutting board, perhaps it was to avoid
paying $556.69 for a 24-hole board that looks functionally the same.

http://www.toolstoday.com/p-4886-24-piece-master-router-bit-set-14-inch-shank-by-amana-tool.aspx

That would explain the pattern of the mystery item. The single rows
would be for larger routers.

The metal inserts may have been to protect the shanks from rusting after
prolonged contact with possibly damp wood.