Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rick[_19_] Rick[_19_] is offline

Default Long Toilet Bolts

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 04 Jan 2014 13:37:03 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

"Steve W." wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
I have the need for some 4-1/2" long brass toilet bolts to hold a
toilet down on a custom plywood pedestal. This is a custom home,
probably built by a jack-of-all-trades, guaranteed master of none.

The pedestal under the loo on the upper floor is 2-1/2" thick and the
one beneath the bottom floor loo is 3/4". He probably glued the
flanges in at a level other than the floor.

Anyway, the flooring guys can't do their job until I come up with
bolts for the owner. Most standard bolts are 2.5" and I found some
long ones which are 4". I need a longer bolt. Homey's Despot didn't
have any brass couplers or brass allthread.

Any ideas where I can find these dinosaur teeth?

Here's the style: http://tinyurl.com/lxmsvht (Man, what a ripoff
price these guys want. They're $2.37 at Grover.)

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.

Take a chunk of brass all thread (or stainless) Pair of heavy washers to
fit the rod, braze washers to rod, smooth brazing, grind flats onto
washers. If using stainless weld the washers on.

Me gotsk no torch. sniffle How does brass TIG?

How about standard bolts, some couplings, and the extra rod?

http://www.grainger.com/product/Rod-Coupling-Nut-1JA53

I'm trying to find sleek round brass jobs to reduce the possibility of
having to ream out the holes in the pedestal, too. The current
problem is that they were made out of plated steel and rusted out.

--
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing.
This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu

Use a short section of 3/8 refrigeration tube as a coupling and solder the
extensions to the flanged bolts....