Posted to alt.home.repair
NotMe NotMe is offline

Default Solder of Braze "copper" convector? -- it's fixed

"TomR" wrote in message
TomR wrote:
TomR wrote:
EXT wrote:
"TomR" wrote in message
I have an old-style, convector-type, wall mounted room heater that
has a small leak. It is similar to baseboard heat, but the heat is
provided by the hot water that goes through the convector element.

Here are some photos:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2a7izh0.jpg http://i40.tinypic.com/v79r9y.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/28c3pk7.jpg http://i40.tinypic.com/oa6wbc.jpg
The convector element has a very tiny leak near one end that I
can't quite locate with the convector connected up and working;
and, even with it disconnected I can't quite locate the pinhole or
whatever that is causing the tiny leak.

If you can remove the item, a radiator repair shop may be able to
help. Just smearing flux on the old metal will not help the solder
to stick, you need to clean the metal first and that is exactly
what a radiator shop would before they try to repair it.

. . . ,
I found and went to a radiator repair shop. The guy said that they
can fix it. They will use a "glass bead machine" to clean the entire
area, then use special liquid (not paste) flux, then do the
solder/fix, and then pressure test it to make sure it is fixed. He
said that they will do both ends even though just one end has the
leak right now. And, the price will be "no more than $89" to do both
ends.
It should be ready in a couple of days and I'll post back how it all
turns out.

Here's the final outcome: -- it's fixed. The radiator repair shop only
ended up soldering the one end that was leaking, and the cost was $79. I
connected the convector back up and it's working fine with no leaks.

Here's a photo of the solder job that they did on the end that was leaking
(not pretty, but it worked):
http://i44.tinypic.com/308e4ax.jpg .

And, here's a photo of the other end that wasn't leaking to show how the
ends looked before the solder job:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2vkygas.jpg .

Thanks again to everyone. Posting the question here got the problem
solved for me.

**** poor job. Repeat failure is not a matter of if, but of when.