Posted to rec.woodworking
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Staining

Hi Robert,

At this point you should advise those that are seeking advice to read
the directions on their specific brand of poly for its application.
Generic instructions won't serve well for all brands of poly. Some
have recoat times of 12 hours, some 8, and some are as little as 2 to
4. Failure to follow the specific instructions of the manufacturer can
lead to lack of adhesion, witness lines and a list of other problems.

True, but my own time constraints limit me to one coat each day. So
faster recoat times are never an issue for me. The only exception is if
it is really cold, in which case I might need to let the finish dry
another day.

These are a world apart from the oil based GF finishes you reference.
And when discussing waterborne finishes, overnight is simply too long.
Take a look at the Varathane site which also says 2 hrs. to recoat:
http://www.rustoleumibg.com/images/t...terior%20WB%20
Polyurethane.pdf

I haven't used Varathane poly, but I took a look:

"Allow finish to dry minimum of 2 hours before recoating. Lower
temperatures and/or higher humidity may cause slower dry times. Re-coat
only when previous coats have dried clear and feel hard. (Should no
longer feel tacky to the touch.) A powder should develop when lightly
sanded. If any coat has dried more than 24 hours, lightly sand before re-
coating to avoid brush marks."

That's no different than any other poly I have used, other than I "can"
recoat after two hours if I wish. I always wait 24 hours and sand
between coats anyway, nothing unusual there.

You get the idea. Many other manufacturers have their own times for
recoats and their application. One should completely familiarize
themselves with the product they are using before they apply it to
their prized wood working project.

Agreed, that seems like a given. Still, I was simply describing "my"
method of applying finish. It's certainly not the best or only way to do
it, but it works well for me.

Giving advice in an off handed way can ruin projects for the folks
that read these messages and follow their instructions...

And remember to wear these, safety glasses.

Take care,

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com