Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Using milescraft router pattern maker

Len wrote:
I want for make a lot of 4 inch square blocks for the corners of door
and window trim. I don't care for the typical rosettes you can buy
in the big box stores. I want something a bit more unique for my
house. I have a Milescraft router pattern maker and have chosen a
daisy flower design that is about 3 1/2 inches in diameter. The
blocks will be painted so I chose poplar for the wood. However, the
cuts are not smooth and require a lot of work after the routing
phase. I have tried going around the pattern twice in both the
forward and reverse directions. All it seems to do is make the
grooves a bit wider. The problem is that the rotary pattern requires
some cuts with the grain and some across the grain. The latter are
rough!

My last thought beside junking the idea is to go to a harder
wood. Has anybody used this beast (Milescraft ..) with good success?
Is there a hidden secret to it that I should know?

Hard or soft, cross grain cuts are going to be rough though - possibly -
the degree will vary.

To smooth, you can sand or you could apply someting to even out the
roughness. If the cuts are wide enough, I'd rub in some drywall joint
compound with my finger. That still won't make for perfect smoothness but a
light sanding will.

--

dadiOH