Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wind chill and water pipes

On 1/3/2014 7:55 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jan 2014 16:02:50 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I know the pipes won't get below the actual
temp, but are they more likely to freeze,
with wind?

The wind on an inanimate object will
cool an inanimate object to the ambient temperature quicker than no
wind.

Which of course means that wind chill does have an effect on inanimate
objects, in some cases.

No, no, no.

SM: Yes, yes, yes.

If you take an inanimate object like a brick
that's at 70F and put it outside where it's exposed when the wind chill
is 0F it's going to cool off faster than if you put it outside when
the wind chill is 15F, even if the actual temperature in both cases is 20F.
Once it's reached 20F, then it will have no further effect of any significance.

Yes, but the ambient temp in your example, is 20F. Wind chill does
not have time in its' calculation.

SM: Might want to go back and research what wind
chill is. It has to do with the heat loss as a
function of time.

In the case of freezing pipes, I would say in many cases wind chill does matter,

You would be wrong. If it is going to freeze it may do it sooner but
the pipe will not get colder than the ambient. Period.

SM: So, the pipe is going to freeze sooner. That
matters, as it will warm up tomorrow, and I don't
want the pipes to freeze tonight.

--
..
Christopher A. Young