Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Please recamend a spray finish system

On Friday, January 3, 2014 5:04:53 PM UTC-6, audiowood wrote:
I need to spray lacquers and clear coats on stained cherry plywood speaker cabinets and I need a pro furniture grade finish. Any suggestions for an hvlp spray rig under 600.00? or is this impossible?

To expand on Mike's good advice, if you have a good compressor, for a project that small you might try one of HF's CAS low volume spray guns. I use them on a fairly regular basis and they have proved to spray as well as just about any gun out there.

If you are spraying clear finishes such as lacquer, poly or shellac make sure you get a gun with a tip no larger than 1.2mm. Even though the poly will seem thicker in the cup, don't thin it unless you need to as most of today's polys are made to spray as well as brush or pad.

Another thought is to pad the poly on. Since you are probably not worrying about abrasion and water resistance on speakers, a pad finish would give you a nice subtle effect with satin poly.

If you are applying lacquer, spray it. It takes a good hand to apply lacquer with a brush or pad but it is pretty forgiving to spray and fairly easy to fix.

Remember... always practice on your scraps!

Robert