Posted to sci.electronics.repair
dave dave is offline

Default What characterizes a powerFET for audio use?

On 01/02/2014 04:07 PM, Maynard A. Philbrook Jr. wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 01/02/2014 04:05 AM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message

http://www.eznec.com/Amateur/RMS_Power.pdf
On Pg 6 it says:
"The RMS value of power is not the equivalent heating power and,
in fact, it doesn't represent any useful physical quantity."
and:
"The RMS power is different than the average power, and therefore
isn?t the equivalent heating power. In fact, the RMS value of the
power doesn?t represent anything useful."

I remember a Popular Electronics quiz with questions about how a
voltmeter (at that time, a moving-coil device) would read, depending on
the waveform supplied. A key point was that the deflection was
proportional to the average current flowing through the coil, but the
meter was usually calibrated for the RMS value of a sinewave.

Why do you keep quoting notes from Llewelen? He wrote a modeling program
for wire antennas. We are talking about FETs.

I think AVG = RMS only if waveform is pure sinewave. Otherwise you must
use calorimeter or thermocouple to find true RMS.

AVG and RMS is not the same with sine waves..

Then they never are the same?