Posted to sci.electronics.repair
dave dave is offline

Default What characterizes a powerFET for audio use?

On 01/02/2014 04:05 AM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message

http://www.eznec.com/Amateur/RMS_Power.pdf
On Pg 6 it says:
"The RMS value of power is not the equivalent heating power and,
in fact, it doesn't represent any useful physical quantity."
and:
"The RMS power is different than the average power, and therefore
isnt the equivalent heating power. In fact, the RMS value of the
power doesnt represent anything useful."

I remember a Popular Electronics quiz with questions about how a
voltmeter (at that time, a moving-coil device) would read, depending on
the waveform supplied. A key point was that the deflection was
proportional to the average current flowing through the coil, but the
meter was usually calibrated for the RMS value of a sinewave.

Why do you keep quoting notes from Llewelen? He wrote a modeling program
for wire antennas. We are talking about FETs.

I think AVG = RMS only if waveform is pure sinewave. Otherwise you must
use calorimeter or thermocouple to find true RMS.