Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn[_2_] jo4hn[_2_] is offline

Default Staining

On 1/1/2014 9:45 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Wed, 01 Jan 2014 08:36:35 -0600, Leon wrote:

Gel Finishes tend to be extremely easy to use providing you IMMEDIATELY
remove the excess as indicated in the directions. Typically you do not
need to sand between coats.

One of the advantages claimed for gel finishes is that they blotch less.
I tried out one of the General ones shortly after they came out. A good
finish, but it blotched just as much as the liquid ones.

I still like a dye followed by a clear coat (usually Tried&True) or a dye
mixed in with dewaxed shellac (SealCoat).

+1 for the dewaxed shellac and dye. Personally I have used SealCoat and
TransTint with decent effect. Rigorous testing is a must. Take notes.
Label everything. Buy a decent eyedropper to make matching colors
from one batch to the next a bit more likely. You can then add
protective coatings (or not) to taste and the environment the piece will
live in. Have fun.
mahalo,
jo4hn