Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default tracking down noises

I'm 90 percent certain its the neighbours Central heating. I suddenly
remembered the old tumbler against the wall trick, and the loudest noise
is now located to the partywall between my airing cupboard and hers. (I'm
glad I left enough room here for my head!), and its definitely kind of
cyclic noise. I think it is actually going for longer than i said, its as if
its only when its nearly ready to cut out that it makes the noise.
Weird, as I'd have expected it to be off for longer, but who knows.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
A fridge should really be on for longer than this and off for longer than
this.
Are you saying that the noise is still there with the fridge turned off at
the plug?

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Well there is no CU I have storage heaters here. I turned off the fridge
and there really is nothing else. Its only on for a few seconds, probably
less than a minute, then it might be off for two minutes, then on for one
again. its almost as if its topping something up.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"ARW" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
There is a peculiar noise. IE its one of those very quiet intermittent
whirring noises that you can only hear when its quiet at night, and
once you know its there, you find it wakes you up.
The problem is that its seemingly everywhere and nowhere in that its no
louder wherever you go except in the upstairs front rooms.
My suspicion is that it is part of next doors central heating that is
somehow transmitting the sound through the building, but she can hear
nothing she says.
Any tricks other than asking her to turn it off and on again, which
might well not go down too well?
Do others have noises? Add to this of course that you don't it when
normal sounds are there in the day.

First thing is to turn off your CU and eliminate anything electrical in
your house

--
Adam