Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What characterizes a powerFET for audio use?

Many years ago I sat down and calculated this for a sine wave. I assure
you, a sine wave's average power and its RMS power are not at all the same.
RMS applies ONLY to voltage and current.

** But even a complete fool...

I can't be a complete fool, because on rare occasions you agree with me.

...like Sommerwerck should know that the term "RMS power" is not
meant literally.

He knows nothing of the sort. Just because people say "pressure" when they
mean "force", doesn't mean pressure and force are the same thing.

I see ads proclaiming that an amplifier delivers "125 watts RMS power". No, it
doesn't. There is a perfectly good term for that... "continuous average
power", or perhaps "continuous average sinewave power". This term has a
specific meaning, and it IS NOT the same as RMS power.