Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr. Maynard A. Philbrook Jr. is offline

Default What characterizes a powerFET for audio use?

In article ,
says...

On Wed, 1 Jan 2014 06:28:29 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

"dave" wrote in message
om...

"Figure of Merit" in pulsed applications vs "efficiency"
in linear applications.

Any (???) device can produce more peak power in pulsed mode than continuous,
because it spends less time in the region where it dissipates the most power.

RMS power is measured in heating ability versus DC.

There is no such thing (other than in a mathematical sense) as RMS power.
Voltage and current can have RMS (root-mean-square) values. Squaring voltage
and dividing by resistance, or squaring current and multiplying by resistance
produces the //average// power.

RMS power is quite real. A true-RMS voltmeter uses a pair of heating
elements and thermocouples to produce a measurement because it's the
best way to measure the equivalent voltage that would generate the
same amount of heat. There are versions that use other methods but
the thermocouple is generally the closest to the real heating value.

I got into his long ago, and all the proclaimed experts came out of the
wood work to say I was wrong. RMS power ratings have been stuck on
equipment as long as I can remember.

Jamie