Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gear reduction motor oil

On 1/1/14 11:31 AM, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 1/1/2014 8:43 AM, SteveB wrote:
When I just finished my trommel, I had a gear reduction motor that I
used. Apparently, it had never been used, as there was no oil in it, and
I do mean DRY. I put some 30 wt in there, what I had. I have used it
about four hours now. Should I put any special oil in there, and if I do
switch oils, do I need to flush the old oil out, and with what?

Steve

What ever you use, be sure it is not regular motor oil. Should be
non-detergent. If the machine is subject to relay heavy loading, use
"gear oil". If lightly loaded, use something like air compressor oil.

If there are seals on the bearings, they may leak for awhile, but should
expand when they absorb oil and stop leaking.

What is a "trommel"?

Paul

I was curious enough to look it up. It's a rotating cylinder used
to separate material by size. Trommels vary tremendously by size. It
is a grain cleaner in the farming world. One purpose would be to
separate the wheat from the chaff.